SOUTHEAST NC – It may seem impossible to keep up with local issues while they are still being worked on.
Getting involved early in the policy development process can help ensure that community input is heard before it is too late to intervene.
You may not even need to attend (in person or virtually) to ensure your views are considered. Often, sending an email to government officials to be considered a public comment regarding a particular item can make your voice heard.
Every Monday, Port City Daily will share upcoming government meetings in the tri-county area. If there is an element of public interest, we will also include it under the meeting indicated.
Monday, February 7
- Public hearing for rezoning application by Thompson Thrift Development. Read more about Port City Daily here.
- Review of a contract for ES&J Enterprises
Pender County Board of Commissioners will meet at 4 p.m. in the Pender County Public Assembly Hall, 805 S. Walker St. in Burlaw. The meeting can be streamed live here. Some articles on agenda include:
- A presentation of the Pender County Sheriff’s Department 2021 Report
- A resolution for Health & DSS to begin the next steps for a new HHS facility by issuing a request for proposals for a design/build project
- Consideration to proceed with a price request for the architectural design of a new branch of the Hampstead library
Tuesday February 8
Leland City Council holds a special meeting at 10 a.m. at City Hall, 102 Town Hall Dr., to discuss the budget for the next fiscal year. The agenda can be viewed here. Meeting recordings are usually uploaded to the Youtube.
The town of Burgaw will meet at 4:30 p.m. at the Historic Train Depot, 115 S. Dickerson St. A few articles on the agenda include:
- A Special Presentation from WithersRavenel on the Courthouse Avenue Project and Parking Study Review
- Resolution adopting an amendment to the global land use plan BURGAW 2030
- A public hearing for the first comments from citizens on the budget for the fiscal year 2022-23
Topsail Island Resilient Coastal Communities will be hosting an open house at 7 p.m. at Surf City Town Hall, 214 W. Florence Way.
The Pender County School Board will meet at 6 p.m. in the Board Room, Dr. Katherine Herring Resource Center, 798 US Hwy. 117 South, Burlaw. A few items on the agenda:
The New Hanover County School Board is holding a special meeting at 2:30 p.m. at 1805 S. 13th St. Council will join a closed session to consult privately with counsel regarding three lawsuits:
- John Does 1-14 c. New Hanover County School Board et al.
- Jane Does 1-2 tbsp. New Hanover County School Board et al.
- Jane Doe 3 tbsp. New Hanover County School Board et al.
The board can take action. The public can watch remotely on Youtube.
- Setting up a public hearing in March to change zoning districts
- Public hearing to review $43,000 in funding requests from nonprofits
- Oceana Stormwater Acceptance Discussion
- Brunswick County Comprehensive Transportation Plan Discussion
- Review of resolution of intent to close part of NE 54th St.
- Review of Phase Two of Moffatt & Nichol’s $1.8M Beach Management Plan Contract
Southport Town Forestry Committee will meet at 5 p.m. at the Indian Trail Meeting Hall, 113 W. Moore St. Meetings are open to the public, though social distancing and masks are required.
City of Southport Parks and Recreation Advisory Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. at Indian Trail Meeting Hall, 113 W. Moore St. Meetings are open to the public, although social distancing and masks are required.
Wednesday February 9
The Cape Fear Utilities Authority Board meets for its regular meeting at 9:00 a.m. in the Lucie Harrell Conference Room, 230 Government Center Dr. See more details here.
Navassa City Planning Council meeting at 6 p.m.
Southport Town ABC Council The meeting takes place at the Indian Trail Meeting Hall, 113 West Moore St. Meetings are open to the public, although social distancing and masks are required.
Thursday February 10
The Leland Economic Development Committee Meet at 6 p.m. at City Hall. the agenda includes a report on the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce policy committee, particularly on offshore wind, and other updates.
Surf Town Planning Council will meet at 4 p.m. at Surf City Town Hall, 214 W. Florence Way.
The Wilmington Historic Preservation Commission meets at 5:30 p.m. in the City Council Chambers, second floor of 102 North 3rd St. agenda understand requests for 214 Market St., the future site of Ponysaurus Brewing. Specifically, the applicant is requesting permission to construct an addition to the rear of the building, a new brick fence and walkway, and modifications to the entrance.
City of Carolina Beach Planning and Zoning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. in the council chambers, 1121 N. Lake Park Blvd. The meeting can also be viewed online here. A few things about the agenda include:
- Appointment of a committee chair
- Staff reports on recent developments
- Discussion on text change regarding density, parking and multi-family uses in zoning districts for Hamby Beach Properties
Wrightsville Beach Board of Aldermen meets at 5:30 p.m. at Wrightsville Beach Town Hall Council Chambers, 321 Causeway Dr. Some articles on the agenda include:
- Consideration of a request for a kayak rack and a terrace at 619 Waynick Blvd.
- Discussion on approving the use of up to 150 million gallons of CFPUA water. Learn more here.
- Discussion on the NCPARTF grant, final configuration of the pickleball tennis court if the City receives the grant. Learn more here.
- Discussion of capital purchases by Pivot Parking.
Do you have any advice or comments? Email [email protected]