So here’s what I would recommend, if the OP was born in the US…

T – Hi Nononym – those are really great answers. Please see my online reviews below

First, move to Mexico as a Nicaraguan citizen. If you are asked about US citizenship, you can quite honestly say that you gave up when you became a Nicaraguan. (You did this not to lie. The only problem is that the US doesn’t know or acknowledge this fact.)

T – The first step is to obtain approval for temporary residence. I have to find a good way to do it. My daughter will be starting college there in about a year. Maybe that’s one way. Another way would be to purchase a home that qualifies as a minimum investment. And the next way would be income. I could arrange any of them.

T – I agree that I certainly did not lie to Nicaragua under any conditions when I became a citizen. Nor did I renounce my US citizenship for monetary reasons. I just gave it up because I didn’t care anymore. My family passed away who lived in the United States. I have no reason to go back, no property, no income, nothing in the United States.

Second, try opening a bank account in Mexico. Do not claim to have US citizenship. If the bank sees the US birthplace on a Nicaraguan passport, say “I renounced my US citizenship when I naturalized.” If the bank accepts this explanation, great, you’re done, no FATCA worries. If the bank does not accept this explanation, then you have three options:

1. Try another bank.

2. Provide your SSN and authorize the bank to submit your account for FATCA reporting as if you were a US citizen. It won’t be a problem for you. The only potential problem here is if the bank is reluctant to offer certain investment services to US people (this seems to vary by country, it happens in Europe, but not in Canada).

3. Go to a US consulate and spend $2,350 to renounce or document the past renouncement. The first is a simpler process, the second has the small advantage of backdating your loss of US citizenship, but you must prove that you never “used” your US citizenship after that time – no state tax returns States, voting, or traveling with a US passport.

T – I don’t really want to play games. When a bank finds out, they can simply terminate the account. This means that you end up running out of banks. I would like to restore a decent relationship again. I realize that it is not the same in the countries of Central America. Still, much can be done. So I really just want to provide proof that I’m completely out of the US system where I’m not asked for a social security number. And I guess if I do all that, the banks won’t ask me for social security numbers? Hopefully all I would need to show from there would be proof that I had gone through the process of quitting, paying my $2350 and receiving the final certificate. Is that roughly how it will work?

T – I think it would be much more efficient to document either the document I renounced or the renouncement. It seems more correct to me to document that I have given up. It is also very easy as it would be very easy to get a notarized copy of the document that has been filed in the public registry. This is also what really happened. Can you tell me a bit more about this? Does it take longer? Is it more difficult? I would like to see this whole process completed within about a year, if you think it can be done and is reasonable.

T – I didn’t use my US citizenship after the moment I gave up. I do not believe. I may have traveled to Costa Rica or something. But I don’t think so. And I’ll check that to be sure. In fact, I’m 99% sure I haven’t traveled. I never renewed my US passport and it has been expired for several years now. I haven’t filed taxes, voted or anything else that would have benefited from being a US citizen. The reason is that I didn’t think I was. I thought I had given up and acted on it.

T – If I document that I have renounced citizenship, will the acknowledgment that I receive at the end of the process indicate that I have not been a US citizen since I became a Nicaraguan citizen? Would it show the return date or would they (the US) assume that I was a US citizen until I documented it, which would be like now?

Under no circumstances would I recommend that you file US tax returns. It’s not necessary. If you want to document past abandonment rather than renounce, you certainly don’t want to file a year after becoming a Nicaraguan citizen.

T – It’s really music to my ears because I don’t want to have anything to do with them anymore.