Kuala Lumpur is the number one city for expats wishing to live and work abroad in 2021, according to an InterNations survey.
In January 2021, more than 12,000 expats from all over the world took part in the latest Expat Insider survey. They represent a total of 174 nationalities and live in 186 countries or territories around the world.
For the first time since the survey was launched in 2014, more than 6,000 local residents, including many former and future expatriates, also had the opportunity to answer selected questions. Most of them concerned how the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic may have disrupted resettlement plans or a recent stay abroad.
Respondents were asked to rate their satisfaction on the following points:
- Quality of life (healthy environment and robust WiFi infrastructure)
- Ease of installation (language barriers and friendliness of residents)
- Personal finance (access to affordable health care)
- Work abroad (job security and stable local economy)
Here’s how Kuala Lumpur fared in the survey, making the city the top choice for expats:
- 85% are satisfied with life in general
- 78% are satisfied with the cost of living
- 65% say it’s easy to make new friends
- 71% are satisfied with their job
- 72% are satisfied with their work-life balance
- 78% are satisfied with the quality of medical care
Here is the rest of the list of the best cities in the world for expats:
2. Malaga, Spain
3. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4. Sydney, Australia
6. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
7. Prague, Czech Republic
8. Mexico City, Mexico
9. Basel, Switzerland
10. Madrid, Spain
Main image credit: Muhammad Akhir / Unsplash.
This story first appeared on Prestige Malaysia